Loading, Please Wait...
New Delhi: PWD Minister Satyendar Jain on Tuesday said that dismantling of BRT corridor would start from January 18.
"Dismantling of BRT corridor will begin on January 18 and will be completed by the end of February," Jain told reporters here, adding that the entire process had been divided in two phases.
In the first phase, the dismantling of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system will take place while redevelopment of cross-sections will take place in the second phase of the project.
"After dismantling process is completed, we will start redevelopment of cross-sections there. A consultant has been appointed for this.
"The consultant will convene meeting with the resident welfare associations (RWAs) and chalk-out a plan of redevelopment of crossings," he said.
On the lines of Colombia's Bogota model, the 5.8 km-long stretch in south Delhi was opened in 2008 as a solution to the national capital's traffic woes. However, it turned out be a nightmare for motorists as during peak hours, the traffic remained choked in side lanes.
The Aam Aadmi Party government in July had junked the controversial BRT corridor -- a much-vaunted project of the previous Sheila Dikshit-led Congress government -- following public demand and increasing accidents on the stretch.
The government had, however, said it was not against BRT, but it needs to be properly implemented.